Student Financial Services
Billing Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Financial Appeals Board
Financial Responsibilities
Payment Options
Tax Information
Tuition & Fee Schedules
Withdrawal Policies

For More Information, Contact:

Student Financial Services
Directory →
412-397-6260 Phone
412-397-2196 Fax
Revere Center 116

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Billing Rights Statement

The Federal Truth in Lending Act requires prompt correction of billing mistakes.
  1. If you want to preserve your rights under the Act, here is what to do if you think your bill is wrong or if you need more information about an item on your bill:

    1. On a separate sheet of paper, write (you may telephone your inquiry, but doing so will not preserve your rights under this law) the following:
      1. Your name and account number.
      2. A description of the error and an explanation:; (to the extent you can explain) why you believe it is an error. If you only need more information, explain the item you are not sure about and, if you wish, ask for evidence of the charge such as a copy of the charge slip. Do not send in your copy of a sales slip or other document unless you have a duplicate copy for your records.
      3. The dollar amount of the suspected error.
      4. Any other information (such as your address) which you think will help the creditor identify you or the reason for your complaint or inquiry.

    2. Send your billing error notice to the address on your bill which is listed after the words: "Inquiries regarding this account should be submitted to. . ."
      Mail your billing error notice as soon as you can, but in any case, early enough to reach the creditor within 60 days after the bill was mailed to you. If you have authorized your bank to automatically pay from your checking or savings account any credit card bills from that bank, you can stop or reverse payment on any amount you think is wrong by mailing your notice so the creditor receives it within 16 days after the bill was sent to you. However, you do not have to meet this l6-day deadline to get the creditor to investigate your billing error claim.

  2. The creditor must acknowledge all letters pointing out possible errors within 30 days of receipt, unless the creditor believes the bill was correct. Once the creditor has explained the bill, the creditor has no further obligation to you, even though you still believe that there is an error, except as provided in section 5 below.

  3. After the creditor has been notified, neither the creditor nor an attorney nor a collection agency may send you collection letters or take any other collection action with respect to the amount in dispute; but periodic statements may be sent to you, and the disputed amount can be reported to a credit bureau or to other creditors as delinquent until the, creditor has answered your inquiry. However, you remain obligated to pay the parts of your bill not in dispute."

  4. If it is determined that the creditor has made a mistake on your bill, you will not have to pay any finance charges on any disputed amount. If it turns out that the creditor has not made an error, you may have to pay finance charges on the amount in dispute, and you will have to make up any missed minimum or required payments on the disputed amount. Unless you have agreed that your bill was correct, the creditor must send you written notification of what you owe; and if it is determined that the creditor did make a mistake in billing the disputed amount, you must be given the time to pay which you normally are given to pay undisputed amounts before any more finance charges or late payment charges on the disputed amount can be charged to you.

  5. If the creditor's explanation does not satisfy you and you notify the creditor in writing within 10 after you receive this explanation that you still refuse to pay the disputed amount, the creditor may report you to credit bureaus and other creditors and may pursue regular collection procedures. But the creditor must also report that you think you do not owe the money, and the creditor must 1et you know to whom such reports were made. Once the matter has been settled between you and the creditor, the creditor must notify those to whom the creditor reported you as delinquent of the subsequent resolution.

  6. If the creditor does not follow these rules, the creditor is not allowed to collect the first $50 of the disputed amount and finance charges, even if the bill turns out to be correct.