Student Financial Services
Billing Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Financial Appeals Board
Financial Responsibilities
Payment Options
Tax Information
Tuition & Fee Schedules
Withdrawal Policies

For More Information, Contact:

Student Financial Services
Directory →
412-397-6260 Phone
412-397-2196 Fax
Revere Center 116

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Tax Information

1098 T and E Information

Students may be eligible to claim The American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) or Lifetime Learning credit under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. RMU processes 1098-T and E tax forms for all eligible students.

The 1098-T form reports the amount of qualified tuition the student was charged and the amount of scholarships and grants the student received for the calendar year. The 1098-T form will reflect the amounts billed (not amounts paid) for qualified tuition and related expenses for the calendar year. For example, a payment made in December 2016 toward the 2017 spring semester will not be reflected on the 2016 1098-T form because the payment offsets a 2017 tuition charge.

Robert Morris University records information in the following 1098-T boxes:

Box 2- Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses: This box will contain the sum of all tuition and required fees billed to a student's account during a calendar year.

Box 5- Scholarships or grants: Shows the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed.

Box 8- A check in this box indicates that you are or have been enrolled at RMU at least half-time during the reporting of the 1098-T. This box represents information for the American opportunity tax credit only.
  • The American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) is a credit for qualified education expenses paid for an eligible student for the first four years of higher education. If you are graduate student, you are not eligible for this credit, therefore the box will not be checked.
Box 9- This box will be checked if you are a student enrolled in a graduate program.

Additionally, students participating in the Revolving Deferred Credit Agreement payment plan, may be eligible to claim a deduction for interest paid for educational expenses. The 1098-E form will reflect the interest paid during the applicable tax period.

Both the 1098-T and E forms are stored electronically with our servicer, Educational Computer Systems, Inc (ECSI), at Select: Click Here To Search For Your Tax Form. You will then select Robert Morris University-Pennsylvania (ACF6). RMU sends postcards to eligible students prior to the end of January via standard mail that includes the login information necessary to download and print the form. To access your 1098-T form online, you will need:
  1. First and Last name
    Social Security Number
    Zip code
Please contact ECSI at 1-866-428-1098 with any questions concerning website access.

An itemization of your financial transactions can be viewed by visiting your eServices page on the RMU website and selecting Statement under the Financial section.

The above information is based on the University's interpretation of the IRS guidelines and should not be considered tax advice. The University cannot provide tax advice concerning income taxes or the applicability of the student loan interest deduction provision to individual situations. Questions concerning income tax matter should be directed to a tax professional or the IRS.